RACE850.COM IS THE NEW BALLER STATUS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RACE850.COM IS THE NEW BALLER STATUS

WE HAVE MOVED TO RACE850.COM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How to paint an engine bay.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Disco
Administrizzle
Disco

How to paint an engine bay. Empty
PostSubject: How to paint an engine bay.   How to paint an engine bay. EmptyTue 04 Dec 2007, 11:35 am

First thing ya gotta do is pull the Engine of course and strip all the crap out of the bay. Like wire harnesses and lines and everything in the bay. I wouldnt take the chance taping or bagging the extra crap due to the way the paint reacts around weird shapes in the bay. Heres mine stripped down and satrting to sandblast and strip the loose paint outta the bay. The areas anywhere near the brake parts will be especially lose and prone to come off so pay extra attention to those areas.
How to paint an engine bay. S8000919
ok so now ya gotta really strip that paint and get it really scuffed up so I chose to get my $12 sand blaster out and get gangsta on that beeeatch
How to paint an engine bay. S8000953
after you strip as much off that will come off its time to clean up all the mess so I got out the blower out and blew out all the sand multiple times before I even thought of applying primer. Once I got all sand out I used a tack cloth to pick up all the dust and then I used mineral spirits to get rid of any contaminates on the surface. Once its all super clean tarp off your area if needed and spray a high build primer over the entire bay. I chose a three part high build prime from American paints. Heres the primed bay.
How to paint an engine bay. S8000959
after you prime its time to wet sand and wet sand and wet sand. I ended up putting three coats of primer on due to some technical difficulties. SO I had to wet sand the entire bay 3 times. Lemmie tell you its not fun. Ok once youve got it all sanded baby but smooth its time to get out the tack cloth again and the mineral spirits and clean the heck outta the bay again. Once its clean get out your paint and apply a quick mist or "tack coat", wait a couple minuets and apply a covering coat. I chose to apply two full coats and one spot coat for the little missed spots.
How to paint an engine bay. S8001015
once that dried I sprayed on a tack coat of 2 part clear and then after a minuet or two I put on a full coat. For the next couple days I applied a total of 5 full coats and still have a couple dryer areas. But its an engine bay and its better than it ever was even from honda. SO im happy. Heres the shots of the finished product.
How to paint an engine bay. S8001025
How to paint an engine bay. S8001026
How to paint an engine bay. S8001027
Back to top Go down
GSRCivic
Smooth Moderator
GSRCivic

PostSubject: Re: How to paint an engine bay.   How to paint an engine bay. EmptyTue 04 Dec 2007, 11:41 am

Great job on it mang...really does look good! Lemme know if you ever need help with the rex. I'd love to help out...or just hang out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/guitarchan16
LaydOut

LaydOut

PostSubject: Re: How to paint an engine bay.   How to paint an engine bay. EmptyTue 04 Dec 2007, 12:44 pm

looks great, i was all so going to say i some people cant pull there engine and wanted to do it with rattle can , you can use aluminume foin , ( like on wires hoses, ext) paint wont stick to it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to paint an engine bay.   How to paint an engine bay. EmptyTue 04 Dec 2007, 1:23 pm

foin (foin) Archaic intr.v. foined, foin·ing, foins To thrust with a pointed weapon.
Back to top Go down
Disco
Administrizzle
Disco

PostSubject: Re: How to paint an engine bay.   How to paint an engine bay. EmptyTue 04 Dec 2007, 1:34 pm

ha ha ha ha thats a pretty funny correction
Back to top Go down
LaydOut

LaydOut

PostSubject: Re: How to paint an engine bay.   How to paint an engine bay. EmptyTue 04 Dec 2007, 2:02 pm

damn, i meant foil, haha
Back to top Go down
LaydOut

LaydOut

PostSubject: Re: How to paint an engine bay.   How to paint an engine bay. EmptyTue 04 Dec 2007, 2:03 pm

thats pretty funny
Back to top Go down
ho2nvda

ho2nvda

PostSubject: Re: How to paint an engine bay.   How to paint an engine bay. EmptyTue 04 Dec 2007, 6:42 pm

looks good man. i'm working on degreasing my bay a little bit here and there. kudos though nice job
Back to top Go down
adm7328

adm7328

PostSubject: Re: How to paint an engine bay.   How to paint an engine bay. EmptySun 13 Jan 2008, 1:39 am

nice work man wanna do mine now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/adm7328
Disco
Administrizzle
Disco

PostSubject: Re: How to paint an engine bay.   How to paint an engine bay. EmptySun 13 Jan 2008, 9:05 am

No way I dont think ill ever do it again. Major Pain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to paint an engine bay.   How to paint an engine bay. Empty

Back to top Go down

How to paint an engine bay.
Page 1 of 1