RACE850.COM IS THE NEW BALLER STATUS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RACE850.COM IS THE NEW BALLER STATUS

WE HAVE MOVED TO RACE850.COM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
danman132

danman132

How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) Empty
PostSubject: How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon)   How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) EmptyMon 17 Dec 2007, 1:34 pm

How-To: Installing Electric Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon all models should work, inc. SRT)
taken from my original how-to...
http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=18545
Sharp pocket knife, or similar item
Female connectors
Some O-ended connectors
Haynes manual (optional for wiring diagrams)
Various Screwdrivers
Pilers or crimpers
Lighter
Heat Shrink Tubing
Scissors
Oil Pressure Gauge Socket
3/8 Tee Connector all females
3/8 to 3/8 connector
3/8 to 1/8 adaptor for sensor
Yellow Tefflon Tape
Time to do it right

Next the dash needs to come off. Four screws total, 2 on the sides, and 2 in the vent on the top.

Remove the dash and set somewhere aside until ready to re-asssemble. I did not have the extra connector as mentioned in another post.
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2265
The next few steps can be done in any orders, but is basically all wiring. I first measured and cut all my wires to correct lenghts and put the connectors on all of them.

I used heat shrink connectors from advance auto, and O-ended connectors.
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2270

I took some advice from the instructions and installed a 4 amp fuse on the ignition wire for both gauges.
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2274

For the gauge lighting, I tapped into the solid orange wire. This wire allows the gauges to be dimmed. (LED's will not dim as much, at least with my Phantom II gauges) I stripped the wire, but not actually severed it.
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2267

I then wrapped the other wires around it.
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2268

For the oil pressure Ignition On power, I just tapped into the Yellow/Red wire on the top of the dash near the cluster.
For the volt gauge wire, I tapped into the cig. lighter wire, black/small red stripe. This was the closest actual voltage I could find. I tapped into 3 wires with my multimeter and those were all .10 volts lower than the cig. lighter wire. I had to run the wire all the way down to the cig. lighter because I could not find the wire anywhere else but down here (also can't seem to find the cig. lighter in the haynes wiring diagram)
View from back of an electric Phantom II gauge
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2237

GND for ground, I for Ignition, S for the sender, and then the lighting.
Total I have
2 LED power cables
2 Ignition/Acc on power switches, one for the Oil gauge and one for volts
4 grounds, one for each of the gauges, and the other 2 for the LED lighting grounds (or actual lightbulb)
1 Sender cable to the engine compartment to hook up to the aftermarket oil pressure sender
Lots of wires
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2272

Picture of where I hooked up the grounds by the fuse box
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2271

Cleaned up a lil bit, and wires into the pillars once put together. They pull a lil tighter and nicer. Just make sure you have a little slack to work with. (doesn't look "clean" in pics, but wiring is held together and underelectrical tape in stock harness)
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2277

Gauge lit up
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2254

Here you can see 2 of the 4 small platic buttons that old the pillar pod in place. The other two are at the top.
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2291

Another view to show how flush it fits
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2299

Misc pictures of install. Note my oil gauge sender is not hooked up in these pictures.
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2282
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2292
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2308
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2311
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2317
Car raised
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2327
(Folgers was to catch the "cup" of oil that come out when you pull the sensor. To bad mine was only a small dribble)

The wire for the oil pressure sender runs through a grommet in the firewall with all the other wires.
The stock oil sender has a green plug on it (on my 03)
Installing the sender can be a pain. It's not rocket science, but the location makes it hard. First I made sure all my connections are very tight and wrapped with tefflon tape. All of my connections have at least 3 loops.
The first 3/8 to 3/8 I wrapped both sides and screwed it in the block, very tight.
Next I connected the aftermarket sender to the tee fitting. If you do not do this, it will be extremely hard to tighten the Tee to the 3/8 to 3/8 adaptor. Reason for doing this is to use the sender to screw in the Tee.
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2328
I then screwed the tee in along with the sender, using the sender to turn it.
Now for the hard part. Getting the Tee facing straight up, you need to put in the stock sensor. First get it as tight as possible with your hand. The you NEED to get an open end wrench big enough and tighten it more. If you don't, you have a high risk of a leak. (talking up to 100 lbs of pressure here) It took me 2 hours just for this one sensor to get it very tight. (had to use adjustible wrench, pain, and also phone ringing about 10 times while under the car. lol)
Picture of sender assembled on block, best I could get.
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) 100_2330
Here is a picture, but instead of the hose going out at the top, the stock sender goes there, and the aftermarket straight out.
NOTE: Not my picture. Credit to Jonnymopar
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) Gaugediagram
Location of sender:
NOTE: Not my picture. Credit to ???
How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) Oilpressuresensorlocation

Once you take an actual look and attempt to tackle this job yourselfs, it really isnt that hard.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/danman132x
Dan
Asian Zing
Dan

PostSubject: Re: How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon)   How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) EmptyMon 17 Dec 2007, 8:32 pm

COol, got a buddy who has an OP gauge that needs installed. Thx for this
Back to top Go down
ls/vtecJon

PostSubject: Re: How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon)   How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) EmptyMon 17 Dec 2007, 8:58 pm

good tip for the neon guys and basic idea for everyone else
Back to top Go down
danman132

danman132

PostSubject: Re: How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon)   How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) EmptyWed 19 Dec 2007, 2:21 pm

Thanks. Here's a vid of the oil gauge in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Pi7ewwd_U

Some good gauges and very responsive for an electrical one. Autometer Phantom II
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/danman132x
Disco
Administrizzle
Disco

PostSubject: Re: How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon)   How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) EmptySun 13 Jan 2008, 9:17 am

Nice write up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon)   How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon) Empty

Back to top Go down

How-To: Installing Oil Pressure and Volt Gauges (Dodge Neon)
Page 1 of 1