RACE850.COM IS THE NEW BALLER STATUS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RACE850.COM IS THE NEW BALLER STATUS

WE HAVE MOVED TO RACE850.COM

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ok, need some turbo knowledge here

Go down 
+3
adm7328
robbie2883
IBL33dGR33N
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
IBL33dGR33N

IBL33dGR33N

Ok, need some turbo knowledge here Empty
PostSubject: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyThu 17 Jan 2008, 1:05 am

Heres the thing, its been on my mind for ever. First of all, a little history, lol. I love being different and doing out of the ordinary things, so here we go. I have an 07 Cobalt (not an SS, i know Sad ) and was thinking about throwing a turbo on it (ha, if it were that easy). Buttttttt, the thing is its an AT. Buttttt, again, i have found all the parts and equipment i need to turn it into a MT. Sooooo, should i stay with the AT and do it (and no you wont change my mind about the idea of a turbo on a cobalt) or swap the trans and put it on?...would love some opinions and words of advice, thank you!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/imticcustoms
robbie2883

robbie2883

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyThu 17 Jan 2008, 12:00 pm

turbo on a cobalt shows promise. it's been done. the AT tranny is a weakness, but what i'd do is have level 10 build a tranny for you that can handle the power. AT tranny with boost is kick ass, no lag from shift, brake boost off the line. alot of advantages to it.
Back to top Go down
adm7328

adm7328

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyThu 17 Jan 2008, 12:06 pm

yeah man do the manual swap at the same time that is what i am doing with my civic because i would only be able to produce about 300 hp with the auto tranny built which would cost me about 4000 and then i would be resticted now my power goals are 450 already have the axles turbo and will be done with the fully built motor but yes man do the manual swap to or you will always worry about the tranny goin out i have a thing posted up about auto to manual swaps in DIY
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/adm7328
robbie2883

robbie2883

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyThu 17 Jan 2008, 12:19 pm

EH....there are auto trannies holding well over 500. i don't know why a built auto would limit you to only 350 unless it's a shitty build. level ten builds trannys for cheaper then 4k too.
Back to top Go down
IBL33dGR33N

IBL33dGR33N

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyThu 17 Jan 2008, 8:39 pm

ya, i'm thinkin bout keepin it AT, but i mean its up in the air for me right now...the next few weeks i'm gonna work on the cosmetics of the cobalt. I mean i love engine work dont get me wrong, but theres nothing i love more than the looks of a ride. I'm kinda like the "interior designer" (lol) of vehicles. The turbo is a must though!..gotta have it. I mean the MT would be nice, but also a lot of work is involved in puttin it in, especialy with puttin the clutch pedal, shifter, slave/master cylinder, ecu, etc. Keepin the AT and just upgradin it sounds like the best bet. thanx for the ideas. any other suggestions friends?..lol
Back to top Go down
that_guy_with_a_300zx

that_guy_with_a_300zx

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyThu 17 Jan 2008, 8:52 pm

hey man i agree w/robbie... turbo and auto is a good combo, you never let off the gas to shift!. and when i had my old buick, i looked at all the performance options i could find (unfortunately all were for the year AFTER my car was made Sad ). those cars only came with the 4t65e tranny (honestly i think you got the same one) they make kits out there for the 4t65e-hd tranny found in the big supercharged cars. you can buy all kinds of stuff for that tranny at www.3800performance.com
Back to top Go down
adm7328

adm7328

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyFri 18 Jan 2008, 11:50 am

they can be but level ten to do my auto tranny was 5K and that was to hold up to 400 hp so restricted me i guess it depends on how good the stock trannys are for your car because anyone anywhere will tell you honda auto trannys suck
Back to top Go down
IBL33dGR33N

IBL33dGR33N

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyFri 18 Jan 2008, 12:29 pm

from what i've heard (whether its true or not) the cobalt tranny is pretty tough and "almost indestructable." now whether it can handle some boost is another question. sooo i'll have to look into it. also i hear there are some smaller and "cheaper" (compared to 4k atleast) mods you can do to the tranny. not too familiar with these though. thanks for the all help so far though! Ok, need some turbo knowledge here 447406
Back to top Go down
adm7328

adm7328

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyFri 18 Jan 2008, 4:39 pm

there are like replacing the torque converter and seals brushing and other things but to get it to obtain boost with a high hp level it takes alot more i will give you the email for the guy at level ten if you want it
Back to top Go down
robbie2883

robbie2883

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyFri 18 Jan 2008, 11:57 pm

the biggest thing to mod to save a tranny on boost is the valve body. this makes all the difference in how well your tranny takes to the boost between shifting.
Back to top Go down
pantha3000

pantha3000

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyFri 22 Feb 2008, 6:28 pm

A turbo Cobalt sounds cool--- The same thing you want to do to your car I did to mine 3 years ago. My questions is has it been done before? I was the second guy to do that kinda swap in the country on a GT and it was crazy. I had no one to ask why dosen't this or that work. The car was down for about 3 months and it was all trial and error. But I got it done when tons of people told me I was wasting my time.

- I really love my standard now over when the car was an auto. I agree with the others -auto/turbo is a good combination, but manual/turbo is more fun to me.

- I work on Eglin too. I'd love to come by sometime and help you with the swap. I love new challenges--Good luck. Dee
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyFri 22 Feb 2008, 6:30 pm

Sell your n/a cobalt and get a cobalt SS so you can convert it to turbo. That's the only way.
Back to top Go down
iceblue

iceblue

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyTue 26 Feb 2008, 8:46 pm

trade it for the car setup you want.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iceblueperformance
IBL33dGR33N

IBL33dGR33N

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyFri 29 Feb 2008, 9:14 am

ya, actually this sunday i'm headin up to carmax to pick up my SS Supercharged. I'm tradin my LT3 for it, so now i'll have a buildin block to work with. or hell i might even keep the supercharger since now they have unleashed the turbo cobalt. i could have a rare car in the next few years, lol...i found some nice mods for the supercharger as well. a 42lb injector kit will put me around 260hp with some tuning. then there's always goin with a smaller pulley, but i'm gonna do a lot research before i throw a smaller pulley on it so i dont blow my manifold off!!..lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyFri 29 Feb 2008, 12:49 pm

IBL33dGR33N wrote:
ya, actually this sunday i'm headin up to carmax to pick up my SS Supercharged. I'm tradin my LT3 for it, so now i'll have a buildin block to work with. or hell i might even keep the supercharger since now they have unleashed the turbo cobalt. i could have a rare car in the next few years, lol...i found some nice mods for the supercharger as well. a 42lb injector kit will put me around 260hp with some tuning. then there's always goin with a smaller pulley, but i'm gonna do a lot research before i throw a smaller pulley on it so i dont blow my manifold off!!..lol

Thank you, JESUS! I was going to be so pissed if you tried to boost that car when a boosted model was already being sold.

Big mutha fuckin' kudos for you.
Back to top Go down
IBL33dGR33N

IBL33dGR33N

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyFri 29 Feb 2008, 5:25 pm

hahaha, yeaaaah cheers
Back to top Go down
Nazgul350r

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptyFri 29 Feb 2008, 11:29 pm

IBL33dGR33N wrote:

This was my advise thanks for making me read the whole thread. LOL
Back to top Go down
IBL33dGR33N

IBL33dGR33N

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptySat 01 Mar 2008, 12:49 am

Ok, need some turbo knowledge here 559462 ...lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptySat 01 Mar 2008, 1:36 am

birdy wrote:
Sell your n/a cobalt and get a cobalt SS so you can convert it to turbo. That's the only way.
Back to top Go down
IBL33dGR33N

IBL33dGR33N

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptySat 01 Mar 2008, 1:50 am

haha.. true that, but i'm gonna keep the sc in it for a bit before i decide if i wanna do the swap or not..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptySat 01 Mar 2008, 1:51 am

Werd, have fun with it.
Back to top Go down
IBL33dGR33N

IBL33dGR33N

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptySat 01 Mar 2008, 2:00 am

o i will!! Ok, need some turbo knowledge here 943492 ...i know its not ridiculous fast, but better than what i had
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptySat 01 Mar 2008, 2:07 am

Very true.

I hope you're done bleeding green.
Back to top Go down
IBL33dGR33N

IBL33dGR33N

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptySat 01 Mar 2008, 2:12 am

haha, ya...now i'm orange fury!!! Ok, need some turbo knowledge here 550103
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here EmptySat 01 Mar 2008, 2:14 am

Oh, God...

Haha, whatev man. Welcome to the world of boosted cars.

I don't have one anymore but I've had three so... yeah Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ok, need some turbo knowledge here   Ok, need some turbo knowledge here Empty

Back to top Go down

Ok, need some turbo knowledge here
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next